Railroad & Warehouse Commissioner State Executive Office
Elections: 1900-1966. On March 5, 1885, the legislature created a three-member Railroad and Warehouse Commission with members appointed by the Governor. On March 6, 1899, the legislature provided for the election of members of the Commission to commence with the November 1900 general election. In the initial election, two of the three seats were elected to four-year terms with the third for a two-year term. From 1902 through 1910, commissioners were elected to four-year terms. On April 13, 1911 the legislature established that commissioners were elected to six-year terms with one seat up every two years. As such, for the two seats on the ballot in 1912, one seat was designated as a four-year term and the other as a six-year term. From 1914 through the last election for the office in 1966, commissioners were elected to six-year terms. On May 25, 1967, the legislature created the a three-member Public Service Commission under the Department of Public Service. Members from the Railroad and Warehouse Commissioner served out their term on the Commission. Primaries for Railroad and Warehouse Commissioner were first held in September 1912. There were never term limits for this office.